Register  |  Login

WelcomeMinimize

Everyone is welcome to read and participate in the discussions here, both members and non-members.  To get started, either log in, or if this is your first time here, go ahead and Register.

User LoginMinimize

Register
Forgot Password ?

Forums
ForumsMinimize
HomeHomeHikingHikingOld Trails AnewOld Trails AnewMt Gretna -June 20Mt Gretna -June 20
Previous

Next
New Post
6/21/2009 9:46 AM

Three WTC hikers met at the BTC Park and Ride and decided to venture up to Mt. Gretna for a day of hiking. We passed through bands of showers on the way up and when we arrived at Mt. Gretna it was still pouring. There were no signs of other hikers. We sat in the car for few minutes hoping that the rain would stop. After a few more minutes, I ventured out to see if the restrooms at the theater were open. Restrooms at the Theater and Jigger shop were locked, so we drove over to the lake-not open yet. We then drove up to the Environmental Education Center- not open yet but a very nice Porta Potty in the parking lot. By this time the rain had stopped. I had suggested that we do a "Tapas" (short hikes where we wouldn't venture too far from the car) of hikes. We hiked up to the Governor Dick tower -Two of us climbed the tower (visibilty about 100 ft). We continued past the tower and did a left hand loop back towards the car. Still wasn't raining so we ventured north on the HST 'til we found a "new" trail. Explored the new trail and came out at a SGL parking lot on 117. Walked back to Mt. Gretna along 117. Two of us hiked back up to the EEC to fetch the car. Drove back to Mt. Greta for Ice Cream at the Jigger shop. Drove out to Dinosaur Rock (I had never been there?). Hiked into Dinosaur Rock. Then hiked the trail back to

where it meets the HST. Then hiked north on the HST and back to the car. Did pass a field where UFO's had landed- they must have had quite a frolic there - about 25% of the crop was smashed to the ground. We then drove back to Mt. Gretna and took a walk through town.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeHikingHikingOld Trails AnewOld Trails AnewMt Gretna -June 20Mt Gretna -June 20