Register  |  Login

WelcomeMinimize

Everyone is welcome to read the discussions here, both members and non-members; only members can post. To get started, either log in, or if this is your first time here, go ahead and Register.

User LoginMinimize

Register
Forgot Password ?

Forums
ForumsMinimize
HomeHomePaddlingPaddlingWhitewater Padd...Whitewater Padd...Shenandoah StaircaseShenandoah Staircase
Previous

Next
New Post
3/26/2018 12:21 PM

I am planning to do a trip to the Shenandoah Staircase Sunday April 22nd. It is a wide shallow river that flows about six miles past Harpers Ferry and into the Potomac. This river warms up in the springtime much sooner than any of the waters around here because it flows slowly down the Shenandoah Vally before it gets to the Staircase. It is class II water with one II+ Drop called "Bull Falls". This is one River with many oppertunities to practice surfing for all skill levels as it flows over a long series of broken up ledges. I will anounce meeting time and place, water level, and such the week of the trip. 

New Post
3/26/2018 3:43 PM

Ed, I LOVE this trip. If the weather is decent and conditions are appropriate, I AM THERE! Thanks for organizing. Laura

New Post
3/26/2018 4:27 PM

Would love  to join you, conditions permitting, 

New Post
3/26/2018 8:43 PM

Me me me me!!!  I'm on!  Katie -- conditions permitting?!  You have been paddling on the Potomac all winter.  You have less excuses than any of us!  Laura, we will do an epic car pool.  So excited.

New Post
3/26/2018 9:23 PM

Rick Cope would love to join you.

New Post
3/26/2018 9:41 PM

Matt here.  Count me in. 

New Post
3/31/2018 5:40 PM

Ed,

I would like to join you,

David

New Post
4/1/2018 7:50 PM

Ed,

I will join the trip.

Thanks,

Bill

New Post
4/16/2018 1:35 PM

Status report on Shenandoah Trip: 

The level was pretty low for this time of year, until last night's storm. Right now it is 4ft. or so and rising. It usually takes about three days for the River to crest after a storm in the Watershead. I believe it will fall back to a good level by Sunday. The weather also looks hopefull at this point. 

I plan to meet at the put-in at 10:30 AM . If you need directions let me know. 

New Post
4/16/2018 1:47 PM

Ed - Please send address where you are meeting.   I will be driving out from Baltimore with my playboat.    rccomber@aol.com

New Post
4/16/2018 4:22 PM

To get to Harpers Ferry Take-out from Baltimore: Take I-70 West to Frederick. Then follow direction to Rt 340 South. Take 340 South until you cross the Potomac River. (You are now In Virginia)  Pull of to the right at the very first oppertunity. (only about 30 ft. from the end of the bridge)  Find a place to park, this is the Take-out. 

New Post
4/16/2018 4:24 PM

Slight correction: Meeting at the "Take-out". Not put-in.

New Post
4/17/2018 10:03 PM

Jack will be paddling.  Kit may joiin depending on weather

New Post
4/19/2018 12:29 PM

Weather forcast for Harpers Ferry on Sunday is for a high in Low Sixtys. Dress acordingly. 

New Post
4/20/2018 1:44 PM

Due to a medical condition I will not be able to lead this trip Sunday after all. If anyone wants to take my place, Just let everyone else know. 

Ed

New Post
4/21/2018 6:40 AM

Ed, we certainly hope you are ok and will miss you on Sunday!  Our previous fearless leader has trained us well, and therfore the trip is still ON!  Conditions will be optimal.  Level about 4 ft., light winds and air temps comfortable with water appropriate gear!  So far we have Laura V. (new leader), Susan L, Katie O., Janice F., Rick C., Jack L, and hopefully Kit, David Clark, Orit and Aaron K..  Who else?  Come join the fun and we will debrief at this awesome place...http://www.beansinthebelfry.com.  They have a bluegrass jam on Sunday afternoon and BEER!  Respond here or with Laura V., folkware@yahoo....., or 3zero2-69zero-zero835.  

New Post
4/21/2018 6:34 PM

Thanks to Ruth, who has graciously agreed to shuttle our drivers, we are now meeting at the put in at 10:30!  Last minute folks... Let us know if you decide to join the trip!  

Previous

Next
HomeHomePaddlingPaddlingWhitewater Padd...Whitewater Padd...Shenandoah StaircaseShenandoah Staircase